About Me & My Artistic Expression (or Thread Obsession)

When I was a small girl, every Sunday afternoon my mother took us kids to visit my Grandparents. While my mother and grandmother chatted at the kitchen table over coffee, I wandered through the company rooms of the house admiring all the fancy workings that adorned the furniture. Every table top was covered with at least one fancy working. Towels were trimmed in lace, as was every hand cloth, pillowcase and tablecloth. And every week this fascinating display changed!

In my Grandparents home my Grandmothers "private" area was in the basement right next to the cloths washer and across from a very large stove. While my grandmother sat waiting for the cloths to wash and the oven to bake, she would create her fancy workings. As a little girl I would sit on the floor at my Grandmothers feet and watch her knit or crochet. This is how I learned . . . . by watching. To this day I still knit backwards.

What fascinated me as a child remains a passion of mine today - some 40 years later. I naturally gravitate towards century old patterns and have a fondness for Victorian and Celtic designs. I draw a great deal of my inspiration from nature, which is probably why I'm so hooked on Irish Crochet. I also recently I began creating some of my own designs and will some day put them to patterns. I work with a variety of fibers in creating my work such as cotton, bamboo, wool & linen - and lots of color!

In this blog I'll talk about things like fiber, crochet tips and techniques, and share my knowledge in the crafts history. Resources are immense with the internet, but I'll list my favorites here too.

My greatest passion is crochet, but I do still knit from time to time.

You can browse through an array of my creations at:

Artistic Needlework: www.etsy.com/shop/ArtisticNeedlework

Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Artistic-Needlework/101214780007413

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ArtisticNeedleW/

Crochet Doily Fibers: Lets Talk About Linen


I love Linen!  When you think of linen you think of summer shawls and clothing, but here I'm going to talk about its use in the making of doilies.

A Little about Linen Flax Thread

Linen is a natural fiber made from the flax plant. Linen thread (often called yarn) typically has a thick and thin character with a crisp and textured feel to it. Linen thread produces a soft, lightweight piece that has natural luster, is lint free and does not stretch. Linen is a strong fiber that absorbs moisture very quickly and drys quickly. Linen takes to dyeing like a fish to water producing colors that are deep, bright and vibrant. 




https://www.etsy.com/listing/165482831/doilyvenetiancenterpiecedecor?ref=shop_home_active_1 




Working with Linen

Most linens are not mercerized and tend to split if you work with the wrong sized hook. For the most part I find myself working a 3 ply (#10) thread with a 7, 8 or 9 hook. Non-mercerized linen has a texture more like that of yarn, where the thread is flat, not round like mercerized cotton. Linen also has a thick/thin texture which is entirely workable and not an issue.  The color selection of linen is one you will never find in cottons. Colors are rich and deep with a natural sheen.


https://www.etsy.com/listing/211119315/doily-in-lavender-linen-tabletop-decor?ref=shop_home_active_12




Choosing the Right Thread Determines the Overall Look of Your Project

Before I begin any project I spend a great deal of time selecting textiles and considering the design. Some designs call for a thick, heavy thread to give it weight, where others use a fine thread to create a light, frilly piece.  Linen does not stretch, so if the design calls for some give on the fibers part, linen will only go so far.  Linen also creates a piece that is light as air with a nice drape. And I said "nice drape" not "heavy drape". Bamboo has a heavy drape. Also most linen is not mercerized which gives your design a unique soft, natural look that is elegant at the same time. I don't believe linen to be suited for every design, but it sure has its place.

Lets talk about linen thread size for minute 

The first hurdle you must concur is deciphering international sizes so you buy the correct size thread for your project. Secondly, where to purchase. Would be nice if the entire world used the same lingo in yarn land, but we don't all speak the same language, so that is not the case. Lets take care of any confusion right off so you can get to ordering supplies! 

You'll see international sizes listed as 5/4, 10/3, 20/2, 30/1 or 4 ply, 3 ply, 2 ply 1 ply. Just remember: in thread the weight or size is the first number, and the number of plys or threads is the second number. 5/2 translates to 5 being the overall weight or size, and 2 being the number of plys used to make up the thread. 
Here's how it compares to USA size:
#  5 USA = 5/4   = 4 ply
#10 USA = 10/3 = 3 ply
#20 USA = 20/2 = 2 ply
#30 USA = 30/1 = 1 ply

And I have to add that most linen threads that are not mercerized tend to run a little smaller.

For comparisons: on the left is cotton, right is linen. Both are 3 ply or #10. As you can see the linen is a tat smaller in gauge. 

Cotton (left) linen (right)

Some up close pictures of 3 ply linen thread.

Linen 3 ply


Doily made in 2 ply linen

Cleaning and Blocking

Not as difficult as those linen slacks in your closet.  Hand wash separately in cool water with a mild soap - no bleach. I mix colors often and have never had a problem with colors bleeding. Stains must be soaked immediately before the spot sets. Machine drying is not recommended and there is absolutely no reason to machine dry linen as it air drys super fast. Do not dry in direct direct sunlight. When blocking a piece keep a spray bottle handy because the piece will dry before your done blocking. I block 3 ply pieces with a medium starch and 2 or 1 ply pieces with a heavy starch.  A medium starch holds the pieces shape and retains that nice linen softness. Linen has a nice drape even when starched. Linen can be ironed wet with a hot iron and/or steam. Iron items on the wrong side or cover the item with a cloth first to avoid unwanted surface gloss. Always moisten it with water before ironing.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtisticNeedleWork?section_id=16062209&ref=shopsection_leftnav_3Linen Suppliers

The best linen yarns and threads come from Eastern Europe.  In the USA (my home) linen thread/yarn is hard to find and when you do find it, it is overpriced. I have found the best value and selection by purchasing internationally. Do consider shipping time when planning your project. My overseas orders generally take 2 weeks to receive so I always order in bulk. The first four shops listed below also create with linen. Check out their pages to see all the different items you can create with linen.

Online Sources for linen thread:
Yarn Stories in Lithuania
or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yarn-Stories/186737808116471?sk=timeline
Man Crochets in Lithuania
Linen Spirit in Lithuania
Namolio, England, United Kingdom
Webs - for Brassard 8/2 Cottolin
Sewandso (UK) - for Anchor Artiste Linen 





The End



Comments